Before we delve into how Digital Marketing works – let’s take a look at what it actually is.
Digital marketing (or Online Marketing) is a pathway to help brands and businesses engage and connect online, through their chosen digital channels. If you are a business, you have a target audience, and this audience spends a lot of time online – this is where your Digital Marketing comes in.
Choose the channels that will help you engage with your audience and execute the strategy to make that connection.
Some examples of Digital Marketing Channels that you can use are:
- Your Website
- Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn etc)
- Email Marketing
- Paid social media advertising
- Paid search engine advertising (Google Ads)
- Content creation (blogging)
and the list goes on.
So, Why Does Digital Marketing Work?
It is all about where the customer and audience eyes are in the current market, and for now and into the future, it is online (check out some stats here).
We must also clarify that not all Digital Marketing works – there is one key factor – how good the strategy and execution are. Online marketing that is done without a plan in place can be detrimental.
To make it work there are some key questions that you need to clarify:
- Who is your audience and where do they hang out?
- How are you helping solve your customers (or clients) problems?
- Have I got a clear and concise message that is consistent with our brand?
- Will our marketing stand out from the cluttered marketplace?
- Do we need help in the execution of the strategy and who should we choose to help?
These are just a few of the key factors that can make or break a digital strategy. Sit on these and develop a framework that will allow you to reach your audience and engage.
We must also note that this doesn’t happen overnight. It takes dedication and time to start building trust-based connections with your audience.
You just need to go online, and check out Facebook or Instagram to see the magnitude (and potential) of these platforms. One thing you can do is look at the companies that are doing it well and learn from them. See what is happening around you and get inspiration.
Digital Marketing works – this is proven. Just get prepared and go for it – and be patient!